• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

In a recent interview Yosuke Hayashi of Team Ninja mentioned that they would like to partner with Nintendo again for another Metroid game. He further commented that naturally it's not up to them whether it happens, but they are still in close contact with Sakamoto. It pretty much comes down to what Sakamoto wants to do with the franchise going forward.

I know a lot of people like to blame Team Ninja for Other M's shortcomings, but I think that's very much misplaced, and what disappoints me more is that Sakamoto is still in charge of where the franchise goes in the future. Personally I'd be up for another Team Ninja Metroid, just not another Sakamoto Metroid. Ideally though we'd see another Retro/Miyamoto pairing or another internal studio finally tackling Metroid 5...

What do you guys think though? You up for giving Team Ninja another go, or was once enough?
sig.png

#2 Admin EP

EP

Elder of Zebes

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 8,387 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, it's hard to know how much control over Other M's gameplay Sakamoto had, but judging from comments he's made I definitely don't trust him working on the next one. There were some cool things about Other M and the game execution didn't seem too poor (although the fucking weird camera cut scene things where you had to look at something was horrible, but maybe that's because my Wii has trouble with DL discs), so I wouldn't mind TN working on the next one unless they liked the way the last one turned out. To be honest, I'm guessing they contributed to some of the crappier aspects of it, so I wouldn't mind seeing a new studio have a crack at it.

#3 Ridley Scott Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Ridley Scott Ridley Scott
  • 3,806 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Team Ninja had little say in Other M's development. They tried to plead with Sakamoto to change some elements of the game like the controls for example. Sakamoto wouldn't have it and made the controls strictly Wii Remote only.

All Team Ninja could do is do what Sakamoto ordered or risk he and Nintendo kicking them out. To me all of Other M's faults lie with Sakamoto alone. If he should try Metroid again and if somehow, he asked Team Ninja to take another crack at a Metroid game and they accept, I do hope Sakamoto will let Team Ninja have more say in how a future Metroid game will develop.

Also somebody other than Sakamoto should write the story for said Metroid game. Don't give it to Team Ninja though. Their record for writing stories is dodgy at best. And Nintendo of America should take localizing liberties and change shit that could negatively impact Metroid when localizing the game for America.

Edited by Ngamer01, 20 August 2012 - 08:33 AM.

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Team Ninja had little say in Other M's development. They tried to plead with Sakamoto to change some elements of the game like the controls for example. Sakamoto wouldn't have it and made the controls strictly Wii Remote only.

All Team Ninja could do is do what Sakamoto ordered or risk he and Nintendo kicking them out. To me all of Other M's faults lie with Sakamoto alone. If he should try Metroid again and if somehow, he asked Team Ninja to take another crack at a Metroid game and they accept, I do hope Sakamoto will let Team Ninja have more say in how a future Metroid game will develop.

Also somebody other than Sakamoto should write the story for said Metroid game. Don't give it to Team Ninja though. Their record for writing stories is dodgy at best. And Nintendo of America should take localizing liberties and change shit that could negatively impact Metroid when localizing the game for America.

A thousand times this. I've read all the interviews and I know Team Ninja actually does understand what makes a Metroid game good. If they were allowed to act on their opinions more I really think Other M would have been a much less controversial title among Metroid fans. Maybe if they do get another go Sakamoto will step aside like Miyamoto did with Retro Studios and allow them much more freedom. I'd actually like to see the Metroid I thought we were getting after the original trailer was release, without all of the problems Sakamoto forced upon it. But yeah, as far as writing goes I'd rather NEITHER of them touch it. :P
sig.png

#5 Lame Plant42 Lame

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame New Plant Lame
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

I'm all for it. I loved Other M. The only things I wish were different are things that the majority of people do NOT bitch about when opening their mouths about Other M, such as the music which is largely ambient forgettable shit. Oh, and Samus's out-of-nowhere design-changing beauty mark.

But I DO think that Team Ninja is to blame for Metroid's much more action-oriented approach to combat, such as the dodging. I think that was a nice change, but many to most people don't agree.

And I don't see any problem with Sakamoto at the head of future Metroid games.

BraveVesperia.gif
WarnPwnage2.gifHORSEDICK__???Cream Blog???___^Now Playan^

#6 Ridley Scott Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Ridley Scott Ridley Scott
  • 3,806 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Actually I don't mind the gameplay of Other M except for the heavy linear gameplay and those pixel hunt segments. Those boss fights are awesome.

What I do mind is when the story can be so poor in execution causing situations like Adam never authorizing Samus to use the Varia perior to her entering Sector 3 for the first time or Samus constantly restating what she/we seen/done/heard five seconds ago when that could have been put to better use on the plot recap screen when loading a saved game. Do I need to go on? <.<;;

Edited by Ngamer01, 22 August 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 9,720 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm all for it. I loved Other M. The only things I wish were different are things that the majority of people do NOT bitch about when opening their mouths about Other M, such as the music which is largely ambient forgettable shit. Oh, and Samus's out-of-nowhere design-changing beauty mark.

But I DO think that Team Ninja is to blame for Metroid's much more action-oriented approach to combat, such as the dodging. I think that was a nice change, but many to most people don't agree.

And I don't see any problem with Sakamoto at the head of future Metroid games.

The action-oriented combat was actually the change I liked most, and is why I'd like to see another Team Ninja Metroid where they're given more freedom. I don't want to see it being a permanent part of the franchise, but it's a neat twist for a game or two.
sig.png

#8 Legonro

Legonro

Level 1

• Zoomer
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

A thousand times this. I've read all the interviews and I know Team Ninja actually does understand what makes a Metroid game good. If they were allowed to act on their opinions more I really think Other M would have been a much less controversial title among Metroid fans. Maybe if they do get another go Sakamoto will step aside like Miyamoto did with Retro Studios and allow them much more freedom. I'd actually like to see the Metroid I thought we were getting after the original trailer was release, without all of the problems Sakamoto forced upon it. But yeah, as far as writing goes I'd rather NEITHER of them touch it. :P

I am completely good with that. I think Retro Studios should come back to the Metroid series. They were such a godsend, what with the Prime Trilogy. Metroid Prime is one of the most iconic subseries on the GCN, and the Nintendo Wii. Retro Studios is, in my opinion, the obvious choice for more of those kinds of games. They best be working on another one of these masterpieces, and I'd rather not have Team Ninja or Sakamoto touch the next one. I mean, with Super Metroid, when Ridley had the Baby in its talons, and you chase him down, there's no narrative telling you WHY you're chasing down. That's just straight up insulting your intelligence. You decide for yourself, what you want to do, and why you're going to do it. And the gameplay for Other M was so strict, I was so glad I actually got it as a gift as opposed to wasting any of my own money on it.

#9 Lame Plant42 Lame

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame New Plant Lame
  • 10,222 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

I am completely good with that. I think Retro Studios should come back to the Metroid series. They were such a godsend, what with the Prime Trilogy. Metroid Prime is one of the most iconic subseries on the GCN, and the Nintendo Wii. Retro Studios is, in my opinion, the obvious choice for more of those kinds of games. They best be working on another one of these masterpieces, and I'd rather not have Team Ninja or Sakamoto touch the next one. I mean, with Super Metroid, when Ridley had the Baby in its talons, and you chase him down, there's no narrative telling you WHY you're chasing down. That's just straight up insulting your intelligence. You decide for yourself, what you want to do, and why you're going to do it. And the gameplay for Other M was so strict, I was so glad I actually got it as a gift as opposed to wasting any of my own money on it.

Welcome to the Chozo Sanctuary, Legonro! :D

You can Introduce yourself here in the Introduction Thread: http://forums.chozos...duction-thread/

BraveVesperia.gif
WarnPwnage2.gifHORSEDICK__???Cream Blog???___^Now Playan^

#10 Kezay

Kezay

Level 1

• War Wasp
  • 455 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

I wouldn't mind Sakamoto doing another Metroid so long as he takes certain criticisms to heart. I only say this because it's probably no secret that it seems Retro's work with the Metroid franchise, while great games obviously, will always be their own standalone stories that don't necessarily tie into the canon of the series. Right now, I am itching for a game that follows the events of Fusion. If there is one thing I really liked about Other M it's that the story tries to bridge the gap between Super and Fusion, maybe it wasn't presented in the best way but it was nice seeing what may be an explanation as to why Adam was the way he was in Fusion, why Ridley's "husk" was preserved in cold storage, Nightmare's origins, continued look at the corruption within the Federation and things of that nature. I'm very much looking forward to how Samus deals with knowing the Federation's darker secrets and having Adam yet again at her side.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users