#121 Robok

Robok

The Villain of Mario Kart

• Amorbis
  • 2,268 posts
  • Nintendo ID:RobokW
  • 3DS Code:3523-2685-0069

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

Oh, that second from the left. That's a Yugio game, Dungeon Dice something something.

Yeah, this one. http://yugioh.wikia....rs_(video_game)

It's hard to tell what it is even when you have the cart right in front of you. Dark blue text on black background with no spaces between words ... good design.

Sounds like a fun game try it

#122 SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64

That Sam Guy

• Ing
  • 919 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:09 AM

That's not the second from the left, Mr. Teeter Jr. I'm talking about the one in the top middle.

Oops. Mah bad. XD

#123 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Dark Samus
  • 4,133 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:28 PM

Good news!

As none of you knew, the 101 GBA I got had a couple of issues - hardly responsive left shoulder button, and later on, and almost unresponsive A button. I figured I'd have to resign myself to just finding another one some day, but then I remembered that I have basic soldering skills.

I pulled a shoulder button switch off of another GBA that I have that I got years ago that has some crappy aftermarket case replacement (seemed like the perfect donor), and swapped those out. That part was easy, since they're through-holes on the board. The A button was another story, since that's an annoyingly thin surface-mount microswitch:

GBA101Fix1.JPG

It appears that the GBA was the first and last handheld (not sure what the Switch does) to use microswitches instead of the usual printed contacts with the rubbery button pads that everything else uses. 

Getting the switch off was interesting. Luckily I didn't have to salvage it, since it ended up being partly desoldering, and partly pulling it apart accidentally as I desoldered.

GBA101Fix2.JPG

I had found some replacement microswitches that would do the job on eBay. Like $4 for 50 of them. A little smaller, but their leads lined up with the soldering pads just fine. Here's one of them, next to a regular SD card for size reference (on the board in the first picture, this new switch is about the same size as the ones they used for Start, Select, and brightness):

GBA101Fix3.JPG

Now that it's in, my A button works again! It clicks a lot more than the stock ones, and the button doesn't have that loose jiggle that the usually do, but the important part is that when you push it, it clicks and does what the A button should do. Hooray!

Oh, and ...

Sounds like a fun game try it

It's not. It's some dice game, and when I tried to play it, I flailed around doing nothing until I got into a screen where I had to move dice between my pouch and a "pool", and I couldn't exit out of there since I had no more dice in my pouch, but I couldn't leave until there were 15 in the pool. It's clearly a game you need the manual for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users