• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#1 Lame Plant42

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame Martel
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

I can't believe no one's made a Mario Kart 8 thread yet (if there is one, then merge this shit, Praim! I know you like to move it move it :P).

So!

Are you like Plant?

Are you planning on getting Mario Kart 8 at launch: May 30th, 2014?

Are you hating on GameStop for any one of the millions of reason they deserve their hate?

Are you trying to avoid GameStop, trying to give your business to other gaming outlets whenever possible?

Are you looking for a sweet-ass pre-order bonus that isn't something stupid like "free DLC" that is unlockable in-game?

Are you one of the many people in the US who drives a car?

Are you searching for a place where you can get such a sweet-ass pre-order somewhere other than GameStop?

Then look no further than BEST BUY!

back.jpg

Pre-order Mario Kart 8 at Best Buy anytime between now and May 29th, and you'll score $10 in GAS!! :D

That's fuckin' genius right there, and you know it. :P Gas?? For a Racing game?! :D This deal would only be more fitting and perfect if it was $10 exclusively for diesel gas! ...or not. :P

But yeah:

1. Pre-order from Best Buy

2. Obtain the Code printed on your store receipt

3. Input the code at http://www.revupyourkart.com/redeem/

4. Print out your Prepaid Gas Cash reward (may be received via email)

5. Redeem at any gas station in the U.S. where MasterCard is accepted

6. Vroom vroom, bitch

Edited by Plant42, 29 April 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#2 Lame Plant42

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame Martel
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

double post because dicknipples

At this point, I think it's safe to say that Mario Kart 8 is not going to break much ground as far as conventions with the game go. I'm not discrediting any of the interesting new additions, such as the anti-gravity sections. In fact, I expect Mario Kart 8 to be the best Mario Kart game ever made.

I refer to the convention which restricts the game to 8 cups with exactly 4 races apiece, coming to a total of 32 tracks (16 of which are recycled from previous installments), battle arenas aside. This is similar to the way many Mario games were restricted to 8 worlds for the longest time. Thankfully some newer games have addressed this and added more levels after the World-8 Bowser "final boss," but still I wish the final boss wouldn't have to be locked to World 8 by tradition. I just wish that Mario Kart 8 would surprise us all and give us 10 cups instead of 8 with 4 tracks apiece, or maybe add a 5th track to each cup (though I'd prefer the former). When I see exactly 8 cups with 4 tracks, I can't help but feel that the game is stubbornly being limited in scope for the sake of tradition, and that is disappointing.

Another hope: I hope they don't rate your races with Bronze, Silver, Gold, Gold 1-Star, Gold 2-Star, Gold 3-Star. Plain and simple, it should be Jack Shit, Bronze, Silver, and Gold--that's it. I don't want to play through all the races in a cup, get 1st place every time, and only receive a 2-Star rating because the game's stupid rating system doesn't feel I deserve 3 stars. That is one of the most infuriating aspects of recent Mario Kart games. 1st place is 1st place. They should just make it genuinely difficult to keep up with everyone in the later cups, as it is in F-Zero, and Sonic and All Stars Racing: Transformed.

#3 Prowl 1701

Prowl 1701

Level 4

• Phazon Metroid
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:16 PM

From now on Plant only gets decaf coffee.

I am going to have to get a WiiU just for this game...

#4 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Has there been any talk of DLC yet, even if only to shoot it down? Because just like you I fully expect it to keep to the same structure as they have been, but Mario Kart is also a perfect game for DLC. If they were to support it properly with DLC while spreading the releases out enough, I could totally see myself spending far more time with the game than I have with past entries. Even with Mario Kart 7 (which I loved) I didn't have much desire to play after I three starred everything.

#5 Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Luminoth
  • 8,001 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

http://www.gonintend...story&id=227285

Mario Kart 8 has a "Game Chat" listed in the features on its eShop page on Wii U.  Of course the Nintendo hatedom/hate dumb says this is just an encore of the Mario Kart Wii "chatting" system.  Because Nintendo is too lazy/cheap to give us XBox quality internet infrastructure.  Yeah like Nintendo wants to get sued by Microsoft for patent infringement. <.<

Edited by Ngamer01, 29 April 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#6 Lame Plant42

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame Martel
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

From now on Plant only gets decaf coffee.

Not sure if get... Is it cuz I should be punished for doing something in particular, or were u implying that I was hyper? :P

Has there been any talk of DLC yet, even if only to shoot it down? Because just like you I fully expect it to keep to the same structure as they have been, but Mario Kart is also a perfect game for DLC.

Ehh, I agree that Mario Kart is perfect for DLC, but I would disagree that Nintendo would actually give us more tracks/cups. The most I'd expect from them are more battle arenas. Nintendo doesn't release a game in pieces. Looking back, Pikmin 3 is the most they did with this, but Pikmin 3 felt complete even without the extra shit they released. I guess I don't feel gypped cuz I couldn't even beat the shit they gave me for free and I didn't have any need for more impossible bullshit, but it's still different with Mario Kart. Had any other company made Mario Kart, I'd expect more tracks/cups, but since it's Nintendo, I expect them to view MK8 as a complete package that doesn't need more shit.

http://www.gonintend...story&id=227285

Mario Kart 8 has a "Game Chat" listed in the features on its eShop page on Wii U.  Of course the Nintendo hatedom/hate dumb says this is just an encore of the Mario Kart Wii "chatting" system.  Because Nintendo is too lazy/cheap to give us XBox quality internet infrastructure.  Yeah like Nintendo wants to get sued by Microsoft for patent infringement. <.<

That shouldn't be an issue. I'm glad it has voice chat, and I hope it uses it like it is used in Resident Evil: Revelaitons™, which uses the GamePad's mic with no need for headsets. I don't know why more games don't use this shit and require headsets.

#7 Admin Prime

Prime

Elder of Skytown

• Admin Chozo Elder
  • 12,171 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

Yeah like Nintendo wants to get sued by Microsoft for patent infringement. <.<

eh... wat? In what way does Microsoft somehow completely and totally own all patents pertaining to "online gaming infrastructure that's not completely shit"? Nintendo could totally develop its own comparable setup if they so desired, just like Sony and others have as well. There's not "patent infringement" to be worried about.

But anyway, I'm sure that is indeed actual voice chat, but I expect to be very cumbersome and/or limited. So probably friend's only, only if the friend manually approves, with really wonky handling of parties.

#8 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Dark Samus
  • 4,124 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:39 AM

Finally, a game-specific Nintendo Direct that I'm interested in! :) Those online tournaments where you can set it up in advance look ideal for CS racing. I wonder if you can restrict them to friends, or if they're open to everyone. And uploading highlight reels directly to YouTube? NGamer01 won't need his DVD recording anymore!

It also becomes clear why they did away with the drag-one-hold-another item grabbing; with the new super horn's (or whatever it's called) ability to destroy blue shells, being able to have a horn and something else could make someone in first place almost unstoppable. And what kind of Mario Kart would it be if you couldn't get blasted out of first place by a couple of items? ;)

Now I just have to decide if I should get physical or digital. Hmmm … will be we playing this constantly enough to just get the digital version? Or would the red case look oh so nice next to my other games?

#9 Lame Plant42

Plant42

Chozo Turbo Kitten

• Lame Martel
  • 14,137 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:39 AM

Finally, a game-specific Nintendo Direct that I'm interested in! :) Those online tournaments where you can set it up in advance look ideal for CS racing. I wonder if you can restrict them to friends, or if they're open to everyone. And uploading highlight reels directly to YouTube? NGamer01 won't need his DVD recording anymore!

It also becomes clear why they did away with the drag-one-hold-another item grabbing; with the new super horn's (or whatever it's called) ability to destroy blue shells, being able to have a horn and something else could make someone in first place almost unstoppable. And what kind of Mario Kart would it be if you couldn't get blasted out of first place by a couple of items? ;)

Now I just have to decide if I should get physical or digital. Hmmm … will be we playing this constantly enough to just get the digital version? Or would the red case look oh so nice next to my other games?

Dude what the fuck? Are u making shit up? A new Nintendo direct? No more holding items? Horn item? Blue shell protection? Wtf?

#10 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Dark Samus
  • 4,124 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

Dude what the fuck? Are u making shit up? A new Nintendo direct? No more holding items? Horn item? Blue shell protection? Wtf?

What, I'm the only one who saw there was a MK 8-specific Nintendo Direct this morning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users