Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Spam Wars: Episode 6 - The Return of the Bots

spam bots annoyances anyone got a huge flyswatter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ridley Scott Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Ridley Scott Ridley Scott
  • 7,814 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:46 AM

As people probably have noticed, more and more spam bots are getting in spamming everywhere or signing up with dormant accounts to activate later for spamming.  This means our captchas are broken.  For the short term, our registration question should be switched to break the current spam bots that haven't signed up yet here.  After banning and deleting our current batch first of course (putting a brief moratorium on sign-ups can help during this time).

I know long term, CS will need to get a new server to be able to upgrade IPB, but for the short term this is all I can suggest.  Hope it can be of help to any Elders that want to try tackling the bots currently.

#2 SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64

That Sam Guy

• Ing
  • 901 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

Best just private message our admins to take care of it. ;)

#3 Ridley Scott Ngamer01

Ngamer01

Level 9000

• Ridley Scott Ridley Scott
  • 7,814 posts
  • Nintendo ID:Ngamer01
  • 3DS Code:4038 6174 8183

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Elders that don't log in can totally check their PMs as guests is totally worth downvoting this thread.

Sorry if this response seems rude, but just wanted to make a point here. >.>

Edited by Ngamer01, 21 September 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#4 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Dark Samus
  • 4,054 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:41 PM

I'll weigh in with two points:

1. Maybe it's just because of how I have things set up, but I would hope that at least one of the admins has email notifications turned on for PMs.

2. Barring that, Mega's on our Discord server (and is online almost all the time). Last time we had an outbreak, I PM-ed him here and he looked at it pretty quickly.

That said, hopefully whoever comes to clean up these fake accounts doesn't delete Yabo's account again!  ;) 

#5 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:07 PM

I've blocked the few I've seen from posting, but I still don't know how to really work the ACP stuff.

Certainly can't change the question to get in.

Deleting the accounts I've seen reported. Man we got a lot of new people over the last two days. I imagine all of them are spambots. It's funny though, because they fill out their Nintendo ID #s and a few other bits and pieces to look real. I honestly don't want to junk anyone unless I know it's a spambot though, so there might be some more spam posts before they're all gone.

I am working on it though.

#6 torgo

torgo

Grand Poobah of Chozo Shriners

• Dark Samus
  • 4,054 posts
  • Nintendo ID:TorgoKong
  • 3DS Code:3866-8871-2120

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:22 AM

After PM-ing a couple more to Conker this morning, a thought crossed my mind: what is the best way to alert anyone with admin powers to fake users like this? A PM with their names? Clicking the, "Report this user" link on their profile? Posting their user names in this thread? Burning an effigy of them in the moonlight?

If we're going to have extra issues as time goes on, knowing the preferred way of alerting could be helpful.

#7 CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

has no sense of humor

• Chozo Chancellor
  • 6,928 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Right now I'm just deleting all new accounts that were created over the last three days. None look like they have normal usernames, and their time zones are all from the same place.

#8 SuperTeeter64

SuperTeeter64

That Sam Guy

• Ing
  • 901 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

Thanks Conk. Now no more annoying spammers speaking Russian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users